Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Overheard Conversation

I have to over-use the local coffeeshop for internet access while I wait for the planets of Comcast and PODS to align, and while doing so I overheard the following exchange:

Well-Dressed Lady: "By the way, I have some part-time work if you know anyone who needs it."
Shaggy Barista: "I'll keep my ears open.  What kind of work is it?"
WDL: "Mostly floors, starts at $7/hr."
SB: "Actually, you know, a friend of mine is looking for something, I'll let her know."
WDL: "Is she white?"
SB: "Yeah, she is."
WDL: "Ok, good."

Yep, I live in the South.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What century is it out there? Do they have electricity?

Karl said...

$7 an hour is crazy.

-anonymous

boothefamily said...

Hi Josh! Wow...

meg said...

I know, a well dressed lady is talking to a "shaggy" Barista, that is soo weird.

Bret said...

Ah, racism. Just one of the many reasons my parents were so keen to leave Baton Rouge all those years ago...

Matthew Smith said...

I've lived in Nashville for almost 11 years and have never heard anything like this.